Each photovoltaic (PV) system is comprised of 5 basic components:
- Solar Panels – generate electricity through solar cells which gather the sun’s power.
- Inverters – power produced by the panels is direct current – DC power,then the inverter converts the DC power to AC power for the electrical grid.
- AC/DC Disconnects – safely controls the flow of power going into and out of the PV system.
- Utility Meter – tracks the amount of power used and power generated by the PV system.
- Performance monitoring – wireless systems and web-based data to track the PV system performance.
The electricity generated by your system is used directly by your home when it is produced.
Power generated in excess of a home’s requirements is sent out to the utility grid, turning the meter backwards.
Check out a video from our owner: